andré douglas pond cummings
Professor of Law (2003)
J.D., Howard University School of Law (1997)
B.S., Brigham Young University (1994)
- REVERSING FIELD: EXAMINING COMMERCIALIZATION, LABOR, GENDER AND RACE IN 21ST CENTURY SPORTS LAW, Editor (West Virginia University Press) (with Anne Marie Lofaso)
- HIP HOP AND THE LAW: THE WRITINGS THAT FORMED THE MOVEMENT, Editor (forthcoming 2012) (with Donald Tibbs)
- COYOTES ON WALL STREET: THE SURPRISING MOTIVATIONS OF MORTGAGE MELTDOWN CEOS (forthcoming 2012)
- “A Shifting Wind?: Media Stereotyping of American Indians and the Law,” in LOST AND FOUND: AMERICAN INDIANS AND THE MASS MEDIA (University of Oklahoma Press) (forthcoming 2012)
- “Thug Life: Hip Hop’s Curious Impact on Criminal Justice,” in THE ARTS OF IMPRISONMENT: CONTROL, RESISTANCE AND EMPOWERMENT (Ashgate Publishing) (forthcoming 2012)
- “The Temptation of Performance Enhancing Drugs,” in REVERSING FIELD: EXAMINING COMMERCIALIZATION, LABOR, GENDER AND RACE IN 21ST CENTURY SPORTS LAW (West Virginia University Press)
Law Review Articles
Investor Protection and Corporate Law
- Racial Coding and the Financial Market Crisis, 2011 UTAH L. REV. 141 (2011).
- Families of Color in Crisis: Bearing the Crushing Weight of the Financial Market Meltdown, 55 HOWARD L.J. (forthcoming 2012).
- Post-Racialism?, 14 IOWA J. OF GENDER, RACE AND JUSTICE 601 (2011).
- Procuring “Justice”?: Citizen’s United, Caperton v. Massey and Partisan Judicial Elections, 95 IOWA L. REV. BULL. 89 (2010).
- Still “Ain’t No Glory In Pain”: How the Telecommunications Act of 1996 and Other 1990s Deregulation Facilitated the Market Crash of 2002, 12 FORDHAM J. OF CORPORATE AND FINANCIAL LAW 467 (2007).
- “Ain’t No Glory in Pain”: How the 1994 Republican Revolution and the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act Contributed to the Collapse of the United States Capital Markets, 83 NEBRASKA L. REV. 979 (2005).
- The Integration Conundrum: Debilitating Failures of the Securities and Exchange Commission Must Be Addressed as U.S. Corporate Malfeasance is “Getting Serious, So Serious,” 48 WAYNE L. REV. 1305 (2003).
Race, Affirmative Action and Social Justice
- “All Eyez on Me”: America’s War on Drugs and the Prison Industrial Complex, 15 IOWA J. OF GENDER, RACE AND JUSTICE (forthcoming 2012).
- The Associated Dangers of “Brilliant Disguises,” Colorblind Constitutionalism and Post-Racial Rhetoric, 85 INDIANA L.J. 1277 (2010).
- “Open Water”: Affirmative Action, Mismatch Theory and Swarming Predators: A Response to Richard Sander, 44 BRANDEIS L. REV. 795 (2006).
- Grutter v. Bollinger, Clarence Thomas, Affirmative Action and the Treachery of Originalism: “The Sun Don’t Shine Here in this Part of Town,” 21 HARVARD BLACKLETTER L.J. 1 (2005).
- “Never Let Me Slip ‘Cause If I Slip Then I’m Slippin’’”: California’s Paranoid Slide From Bakke to Proposition 209, 8 B.U. PUB. INT. L.J. 59 (1999).
- Just Another Gang: “When the Cops are Crooks Who Can You Trust?” 41 HOW. L.J. 383 (1998).
Sports and Entertainment
- “It Takes a Nation of Millions”: The Transformative Potential of Hip-Hop, 1 SOUTHERN U. JOURNAL OF RACE, GENDER, AND POVERTY (forthcoming 2012)
- A Furious Kinship: Critical Race Theory and the Hip Hop Nation, 48 LOUISVILLE L. REV. 499 (2010).
- Thug Life: Hip Hop’s Curious Relationship With Criminal Justice, 50 SANTA CLARA L. REV. 515 (2010).
- Wide Right: Why the NCAA’s Policy on the American Indian Mascot Issue Misses the Mark, 9 MARYLAND J. OF RACE, RELIGION, GENDER AND CLASS 135 (2010) (with Seth Harper).
- Pushing Weight, 33 THURGOOD MARSHALL L. REV. 95 (2008).
- Progress Realized?: The Continuing American Indian Mascot Quandary, 18 MARQUETTE SPORTS L. REV. 309 (2008).
- “Lions and Tigers and Bears, Oh My” or “Redskins and Braves and Indians, Oh Why”: Ruminations on McBride v. Utah State Tax Commission, Political Correctness and the Reasonable Person, 36 CAL. W. L. REV. 11 (2000).
- The Financial Market Crisis and White Collar Crime, Written Testimony, United States Senate Hearing on S.3217, Before the Subcommittee on Crimes and Drugs of the United States Senate Committee on the Judiciary, “Wall Street Fraud and Fiduciary Duties: Can Jail Time Serve as an Adequate Deterrent for Willful Violations?” May 4, 2010
- The Historical Impact of Brown v. Board of Education, AFRICALOGICAL PERSPECTIVES: HISTORICAL ANALYSIS OF RACE AND AFRICANA STUDIES, September/October 2005, at 19
- Visiting Professor of Law, University of Iowa College of Law (Spring 2010)
- Visiting Professor of Law, University of Utah S.J. Quinney College of Law (Fall 2009)
- Professor of Law, West Virginia University College of Law (2008 to Present)
- Associate Professor of Law, West Virginia University College of Law (2003 to 2008)
- Visiting Associate Professor of Law, Temple University Beasley School of Law, Tokyo Japan Campus (Summer 2007, 2008)
- Visiting Assistant Professor of Law, Syracuse University College of Law (2002 to 2003)
- Visiting Lecturer, Fundação Getulio Vargas, Direito Rio, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil (Summer 2006, 2007, 2008)
- Visiting Lecturer, Centro Universitário Vila Velha, Vila Velha, Brazil (Summer 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008)
- Visiting Lecturer, Universidad de Guanajuato, Guanajuato, Mexico (May 2008)
- Associate, Kirkland & Ellis LLP Chicago, IL (Complex business transactions and public securities offerings)
- Law Clerk, Chief Judge Joseph W. Hatchett, United States Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit
- Law Clerk, Associate Chief Justice Christine M. Durham, Utah Supreme Court
- Summer Associate, Squire, Sanders & Dempsey LLP, Cleveland, OH
- Summer Associate, Callister & Reynolds, Las Vegas, NV
- Intern, Congresswoman Jane Harman, (CA) Washington, D.C.
- West Virginia Law Review Outstanding Faculty Contribution Award (2008-09)
- Professor of the Year, College of Law (2007-08)
- West Virginia Law Review Outstanding Faculty Contribution Award (2007-08)
- Professor of the Year, West Virginia University Foundation (2006)
- Professor of the Year, College of Law (2004-05)
- West Virginia Law Review Outstanding Faculty Contribution Award (2004-05)
- West Virginia Law Review Outstanding Faculty Contribution Award (2003-04)