Associate Professor of Law
2014-15 WVU College of Law Faculty Significant Scholarship Award
- B.S. Chemistry – University of Florida, 1997
- B.S. Microbiology – University of Florida, 1997
- Ph.D. Pharmacology – Cornell University, 2003
- J.D. – University of Chicago, 2008
Prior to joining the faculty at the WVU College of Law in 2011, Shine (Sean) Tu was an associate with Foley & Lardner LLP and was a member of the firm’s Chemical, Biotechnology & Pharmaceutical Practice, and the Life Sciences and Nanotechnology Industry teams.
Dr. Tu was previously a summer associate in Foley & Lardner’s Washington, D.C. office as part of the Patent Law group. Prior to joining Foley, Dr. Tu worked as a research assistant for Judge Richard A. Posner of the United States Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit.
- Goodwin, M., Tu, S., Paris, J.J. Biotechnology, Bioethics, and the Law (2015) LexisNexis.
- Tu, S. Invalidated Patents and Associated Examiners 18 Vanderbilt Journal of Entertainment and Technology 135 (2015).
- Tu, S. Understanding Requests for Continued Examination Practice, 13 Duke Law and Technology Review 216 (2015).
- Tu, S. Patent Examiners and Litigation Outcomes, 17 Stan. Tech. L. Rev. 507, June 18, 2014
- “ Uneven Distribution in the RCE Backlog” March 28, 2013, Patently-O guest post.
- Tu, S. Luck/Unluck of the Draw: An Empirical Study of Examiner Allowance Rates. 20 Stanford Technology Law Review 10 (2012). [#1 downloaded article for the Journal of IRPN: Innovation & Microeconomics]
- “An Empirical Study of Examiner Allowance Rates” April 26, 2012, Patently-O guest post.
- Tu, S. Funk Brothers: An Exercise in Obviousness. 80 UMKC Law Review 637 (2012).
- Tu, S., Rosen, D., Bent, S., White, M. “Generic Protections: A Synopsis of the Generic Approval Process in the U.S., Japan, China, and the European Union” BNA, 2011.
- Tu, S., Wu, B., Maebius, S. “The Road More Traveled: Common Pitfalls on the Way to a Patent” WIREs Nanomedicine and Nanobiotechnology 3(1):1-4 (2011).
- Tu, S., Dudas, J., Kiko, P., Wilson, B. “A Perfect Storm is Brewing Against Personalized Medicine” Bloomberg Law Reports, February 2010.
- Scher, R., Peet, R., Wright, J., Tu, S., Schorr, K., Berkowitz, B. Amicus Brief Association for Molecular Pathology v. Myriad Genetics. January 11, 2010.
- Tu, S., Maebius, S., Dudas, J “Squeezing more patent protection from a smaller budget without compromising quality.” Landslide, November / December 2009 2(2): 35-37.
- Dudas, J., Frisch, J., Tu, S. “Patent Reform Legislation in the US: Where is it Going?” Lexis-Nexis China Legal Review Volume 29, September 2009.
- Dudas, J., Maebius, S., Tu, S. “Let the PTO pay its own way” The National Law Journal, October 26, 2009.
- Dudas, J., Maebius, S., Tu, S. “Cost effective patent prosecution without compromising quality” August 2009 AIPPI Japan Newsletter.
- Tu, S., Hakim, A., Maebius, S. “Legal aid- ABCs of patent protection”FirstMonday. September 1, 2009.
- Dudas, J., Maebius, S. Tu, S. “New roads to patent allowance,” IP Law 360, 2009.
- Maebius, S., Waltz, J.A., Rosen, D., Tu, S. “Patenting risk evaluation & mitigation strategies for pharmaceuticals: A New Life Cycle Management Target for Patents?” Pharmaceutical Law & Industry, 7(1): 1-3, 2009.
- Associate Professor, West Virginia University, 5 Years
- Associate at Foley & Lardner, 2008-2010
- Post-Doctoral Fellow at the La Jolla Institute for Allergy and Immunology 2003-2005
- Graduate Student at Cornell University 1998-2003